Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Chapter 23

Without further ado, Chapter 23. :)

By March, my crutches were completely gone and I was walking only with the help of a big brace. I had been wearing sweatpants for the past 3 months, but once March rolled around, I started getting a little crazy and wore jeans for the first time in months. Oh and I shaved, which was slightly miraculous. My leg hair had started to look like man-hair. You try shaving with a big brace. It’s just easier to ignore it.

“You look cute,” Sid said to me as I hobbled down the stairs one at a time. We were going out to a movie, an actual date.

“Thanks.” I replied, giving him a peck on the cheek once I reached the bottom of the stairs a few moments later. “I hate this stupid brace. I hate my knee.” I said, looking down at it.

“Oh hush. I will not have you ruining my night,” he said with an impish grin before kissing me again. “Now hurry up, we’re going to miss our movie.”

“You’re asking me to hurry? I can only go so fast Crosby.”

“Well by all means, take your time,” he stated with a giggle before opening the door so I could hobble out and down the stairs, once again, one at a time. “I’m pretty positive a snail could beat you.”

“Shut up!” I yelled at him, smiling, still making my way down the stairs. “Just because it could doesn’t mean you have to point it out. Asshole.”

“You know, you’re moving way too slow.”

Before I knew it, I was being picked up off the ground and thrown over his shoulder. My knee honestly never entered my mind. I just didn’t want to fall and bust my head open.

“Sidney Crosby! Put me down!” I shrieked, wrapping my arms around his torso so he couldn’t drop me and digging my hands into his shirt.

“Jess, be quiet, people will think I’m murdering you,” he said, trying to suppress one of his girly giggles.

“Help help!” I screamed as loud as I could before he shoved me into the SUV and closed the door behind me. I was laughing uncontrollably now and he was turning a shade of pink as he opened the driver’s side door. I just smiled at him when he looked at me.

“I hate you,” he stated with a slight smile as he put the car into reverse and headed towards the theater. I kept looking at him even as he drove. Whenever there was a traffic jam or he wasn’t going to make a light, he bit his lower lip and glanced in the rearview mirror. I wanted to reach over and run my hand down his jaw line, to feel the stubble that was beginning to grow for the playoffs, still a week away.

“Sidney,” I started, reaching over to fulfill my wish. “You’re so cute.” I smiled at him as he took his chocolate eyes off the road for a split second to look at me.

“That’s it? All I get is a ‘You’re cute?’” he asked me, playfully hitting my good knee.

“After you dragged me across your yard, you’re lucky I didn’t just drop your ass,” I said, laughing at his facial expression. He looked slightly surprised that I would ever say something like that. Evidence that I was getting to be myself again. This surgery took so much out of me. I didn’t even feel like myself the past 3 months.

“Well-I,” he stammered, trying to come up with the words.

“That’s right, be afraid,” I said growling a little and making a face at him before turning in my seat to face straight ahead again. I could feel his eyes darting back and forth from the road to me and I could feel him smiling at me, willing me to turn and look at him. I wasn’t going to give in to his little mind game, so I kept my eyes straight ahead, like I didn’t even notice that he was looking at me. Once we got to a red light, his hand made its way onto my thigh and up my leg. Only then did I turn to face him, and when I did, his lips were suddenly on mine.

The car horn behind brought us out of what he had just created, and honestly, I didn’t want it to end.

Sidney!” I scolded, hitting him across the arm. “Eyes on the road. What’s wrong with you?” I mocked, laughing at the expression on his face when the car honked. I’m sure they could probably see our silhouettes going at it, which is slightly embarrassing on all accounts.

“You’re what’s wrong with me Jess! You drive me crazy!” he said, taking his eyes off the road again and smiling at me. I grinned at him before pecking him on the cheek when he turned his head forward again.

“Thanks,” was all I could think of. I love you didn’t quite fit, and kissing him would be a little too much, so I just sat back in my seat and waited until we got to the movie theater.

We ended up seeing I Love You, Man, a movie Sidney insisted upon. I was not so sure about it, but he convinced me that I’d love it, and miracle of all miracles, I did. Sometimes it surprised me how often he was right, not just about me, but about everything. He practically knew me inside and out… literally. I wanted to be with him forever, but I knew that wasn’t likely. I always had a tendency to get bored with people, but so far, he was doing fine. I wasn’t bored. Maybe it was the fact that I went through such a life shaking experience with him that he’s just become my crutch, metaphorically and physically. I can’t even say how many times he carried me to the bathroom and up the stairs to my room. I wouldn’t have made it anywhere without him. Maybe we would be together forever, as lame as that sounds. It's what I wanted.

4 comments:

  1. yay!! An update! Such a cute chapter. I'm loving the peppy Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw!
    forever and always!
    break out the taylor swift :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. But not that song... It's all about breaking up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahh haha of course not!

    ReplyDelete